Wednesday, April 20, 2011

First haircut...and a flood

Maylene had her first haircut yesterday! She was so excited and talked about it nonstop. All the way to the salon she kept saying, "So excited Mommy! Get a haircut, so excited!" I eventually had to tune her out... lol. She didn't have much taken off, just her baby hairs at the bottom (about an inch). She did awesome too. She sat on the little booster seat like a big girl. She definitely was a wiggle worm and eventually got up "to go potty," which really, she had just gone. She just wanted to get down for a bit haha. Abby was great too, she was so quick and made Maylene feel like a big girl. She even gave her a cute french braid on top when we were done, and Maylene has made sure I don't forget the french braid today, and I'm sure many days to come! Unfortunately, I didn't snap any pictures as I spent most of my time distracting Maylene and keeping her still :) I do have her little curls to put into her baby book, so at least that's there.

All the rain we got yesterday completely flooded our yard! It was incredible how much water there was. It went over our top step and almost to the top of the porch. There was a river in the front yard and one in the back. Nothing was ruined thankfully, but it was definitely nerve-wracking waiting to see how high the water would rise. I do not wish that on anyone at all. 

It's hard to see, but you can see the water is just rushing over Wilmington Rd right to our house.Our car is parked nearest to Miller St as possible..normally we park closer to the house but there was just too much water.

I'm standing on our porch and that is the bottom step completely covered. I had to carry Maylene from the car to the house and the water was half way to my knee!

This is the backyard. Clearly there is water coming all the way from the road and through again.

Maylene's slide and our grill!! (the slide got pushed over by the water, it's usually at least 15 feet to the left)

The water was rushing for the two hours I was home and finally stopped around 4:00. I have never seen that much water before in this area. My landlords had stopped by to check on things and they both said they have never seen that much water ever. My neighbor came by today and has lived there for 30+ years and she said the same thing. It was just incredible. 


1 comment: